01
我想起,当年希腊的诗人曾经歌咏:
I thought once how Theocritus had sung
年复一年,那良辰在殷切的盼望中
Of the sweet years, the dear and wished-for years,
翩然降临,各自带一份礼物
Who each one in a gracious hand appears
分送给世人——年老或是年少。
To bear a gift for mortals, old or young:
当我这么想,感叹着诗人的古调,
And, as I mused it in his antique tongue,
穿过我泪眼所逐渐展开的幻觉,
I saw, in gradual vision through my tears,
我看见,那欢乐的岁月、哀伤的岁月——
The sweet, sad years, the melancholy years,
我自己的年华,把一片片黑影接连着
Those of my own life, who by turns had flung
掠过我的身。紧接着,我就觉察
A shadow across me. Straightway I was 'ware,
(我哭了)我背后正有个神秘的黑影
So weeping, how a mystic Shape did move
在移动,而且一把揪住了我的发,
Behind me, and drew me backward by the hair;
往后拉,还有一声吆喝(我只是在挣扎):
And a voice said in mastery, while I strove, --
“这回是谁逮住了你?猜!”“死,”我答话。
`Guess now who holds thee?' -- `Death.' I said. But, there
听哪,那银铃似的回音:“不是死,是爱!”
The silver answer rang, -- `Not Death, but love.'
02
可是在上帝的全宇宙里,总共才只
But only three in all God's universe
三个人听见了你那句话:除了
Have heard this word thou hast said, -- Himself, beside
讲话的你、听话的我,就是他——
Thee speaking, and me listening! and replied
上帝自己!我们中间还有一个
One of us ... _that_ was God, ... and laid the curse
出来答话;那昏黑的诅咒落上
So darkly on my eyelids, as to amerce
我的眼皮,挡了你,不让我看见,
My sight from seeing thee, -- that if I had died,
就算我瞑了目,放上沉沉的“压眼钱”,
The death-weights, placed there, would have signified
也不至于那么彻底隔绝。唉,
Less absolute exclusion. `Nay' is worse
比谁都厉害,上帝的那一声“不行!”
From God than from all others, O my friend!
要不然,世俗的诽谤离间不了我们,
Men could not part us with their worldly jars,
任风波飞扬,也不能动摇那坚贞;
Nor the seas change us, nor the tempests bend;
我们的手要伸过山岭,互相接触;
Our hands would touch for all the mountain-bars
有那么一天,天空滚到我俩中间,
And, heaven being rolled between us at the end,
我俩向星辰起誓,还要更加握紧。
We should but vow
the faster for the stars.
03
我们原不一样,尊贵的人儿呀,
Unlike are we, unlike, O princely Heart!
原不一样是我们的职司和前程。
Unlike our uses and our destinies.
你我头上的天使,迎面飞来,
Our ministering two angels look surprise
翅膀碰上了翅膀,彼此
勃朗宁夫人《葡萄牙诗人抒情十四行诗》中英对照.doc 来自淘豆网m.daumloan.com转载请标明出处.